Tuesday 15 April 2008

California

I was up at like 6 a week ago on Monday. By 8 I was at the airport and waiting to go through customs and stuff. We finally boarded the plane and *yay* a 10 hour flight. But all the seats had little interactive screens in the back of them and it was so cool as you could choose what movie/tv show/album you wanted to watch/listen to. I started off by watching This is Spinal Tap, as it was one of the movies on my 'to see' list (which has A LOT of movies on it). It was hilarious. After that I tried to go to sleep, but failed, so I watched the new St. Trinians, which was alright. I again tried to go to sleep but failed (stupid uncomfortable aeroplane seats) so I watched the first episode of Pushing Daisies (even though dad was recording it for me) and it was ohsocute. It's so colourful and happy and bouncy. ^_^ I also listened to INXS's 'Kick'.

When we arrived at the airport in San Francisco my luggage wasn't there. Damn terminal 5. We waited for ages after everyone had gone (5 other people didn't have their luggage). It still didn't turn up, so me, a year 8 and a teacher got into a taxi and drove to our hotel. It was sunny and San Francisco is beautiful; the bay is gorgeous. Since we arrived later than everyone else there was no time for a quick nap; and I was feeling somewhat jetlagged. We all headed out to dinner at Neptune's Palace on Pier 39. The tablecloth was made of paper and there were crayons on the table so we drew all over it. I had some prawn salad for dinner. Hell, this is going to be one long blog post.


It was Tuesday and today was the day we were going shopping in SF. Everyone went to Abercrombie and Fitch and everyone (apart from me) bought something. (I hate clothes shopping; so so boring. Go music shopping!) I ended up buying some Converses ($40=£20=half the price of England!) and some music CDs (Cult - Love, Electric, INXS - Kick [because I liked what I heard on the plane] and AC/DC - Back in Black).

After shopping we headed for Tahoe, but we did not stop at the shopping outlets on the way. The drive through the mountains was beautiful. We arrived, had dinner and went to bed. Our room had some cute kitchen area like the one when we went to Canada.

Breakfast was great - I discovered a love for waffles and maple syrup. Mmm... maple syrup... I want some dammit. I also had Froot Loops for the first time in seven years! I love their colourfulness even though they taste really really weird.

The first half of Day 1 of skiing was boring as we learnt snow ploughs and snow plough turns which I already knew. The second half we got to go down a nursery slope which was fun. Over the week I progressed onto harder green slopes and eventually blue slopes. No black slopes I'm afraid, but I probably would have managed to go way to fast and crash into a tree and die if I went on one. Saying that, someone did crash into a tree and hurt their knee, and another had to have stitches in her head.

The village behind our hotel was really cute and it had an ice cream shop and a chocolate shop and all these little cute stores as well as some clothing ones. I bought a Lake Tahoe hoodie, a mug and a couple of magnets for me and my sister. We bought some avalanche bark from the chocolate shop (which sounds disgusting but it is rice crispies and marshmallows and chocolate chips and stuff) and we also bought some oreos in white chocolate. We bought loads of food and we made jelly in a frying pan (as we had made more jelly in all of the glasses).

One evening we ate at the Hard Rock Cafe which was great, they had all these guitars and items of clothing owned by various rockstars. The rest of time we ate at a buffet.

I woke up yesterday and it was time to head off for the airport. On the way we stopped and I went to Taco Bell. I even have the receipt to prove it :P. On the way back on the aeroplane I watched I Am Legend and Léon. Then I actually managed to get to sleep. It was a great holiday. I would write more but I really cannot be bothered and you're probably bored by now. Besides, I need to go catch up on Doctor Who and the roman episode with the cambridge latin course people.



No comments: