Sunday 28 June 2009

Visiting Relatives

(I've blogged quite a bit in the last few days. My life has been eventful for once).

Anyway today I went to Southend-on-Sea to visit my maternal grandmother who is ninety today. Ninety already! It only seems a couple of years ago she was eighty, but then that would be 1999! Crazy stuff. On the way down my Mum decided to put the Disney CD on and my ears died to Hannah Montana. Anyway we arrived, met up with my Aunt Liz and my only cousin on my Mum's side, Sara, and went and had lunch. I had roast beef and all the trimmings for a main course and then for pudding I had a homemade cherry cheesecake. Yum.

After this Sara and Liz departed in their car and headed for the care home that Nana stayed in. My family and I headed off and reached the care home a little later, and then all of the family apart from Mum went off to the beach. The "sea" is the river's estuary, so it isn't really the sea as you can see (a very faint) outline of Kent across it. When I was younger I used to think Kent was a foreign country (not connected to England at all) where they spoke a different language that was like French but slightly different. For some reason as soon as we reached the beach it went from being really sunny to cloudy (evil weather!), but it was still warm. I paddled my feet in the sea, I hadn't brought my swimming costume with me because I hate wearing swimming costumes of any sort. And the beach is all pebbly so my feet were hurting.

After catching my brother and getting him dressed again as well as making my sister get in the car we travelled back to the old people's home to visit Nana. All the other old people were out so it was just her and all of us. We sat and talked and then Sara showed me her new dSLR camera which she then allowed me to play around with. She had just got it because she was getting annoyed at not being able to take good pictures whilst on holiday (she had previously been to Africa and couldn't get good enough wildlife shots) so it was new to her too. I want a dSLR camera but they are so expensive. Also something I noticed: I swear blue eyed old people have really really blue eyes. Or maybe it is just me. Then the other old people came back and one was saying how rubbish the care home was and how she wanted to get back home which depressed me and reminded me that I want to die before I get senile. Nana has Alzheimers so she can't really remember us. :(

After a while we all headed back home (minus the Disney music! But I had Eighteen and Life in my head which was annoying me). Now I'm listening to Def Leppard because I'm that cool.

No comments: